Best Electric Chainsaws 2020- Practical for pruning, but also for cutting a tree trunk,a good electric chainsaw is an essential tool for any gardening enthusiast.
An electric chainsaw is a power tool that makes it easier to prune, cut tree trunks and logs.
Quick and easy to use, it is ideal for both garden maintenance and firewood cutting.The electric chainsaw consists of a chain equipped with ultra-sharp teeth located around a support called "guide".
There are usually 3 types of electric chainsaws, pruning perch, chain saw and felling saw. Some models are equipped with a battery for wireless use.
How we test the chainsaws
To find the best for 2020, all electric chainsaws were tested on hard and dry wooden logs (acacia and plane tree) of different diameters up to 25 cm. The logs were placed on a log easel for stable and secure work and then cut into small pieces. This helped to highlight the speed of cutting (quite close to one machine to another), endurance and possible rebound effects. A pruning and branch cleaning test was then carried out to obtain indications on the handling of each chainsaw and their ease of use.
Evaluation criteria for electric chainsaws
Not any electric chainsaw is a good one, The best electric chainsaw has a number of common qualities and features. One of the basic features, in fact, the main reason why people choose the electric option is the fact that it is light weight. Therefore, the best options should be as light as possible, although not so light as to affect the stability of the machine.
- The cutting efficiency takes into account the behavior and the cutting speed of the chainsaw. But also the quality of cutting: it is important that the chainsaw does not hurt too much the branch to cut. Especially with fruit trees that are fragile.
- The comfort of use highlights the ease of handling, noise and any vibrations generated. The maneuverability and the good balance of the machine are also important criteria. Security is verified as well.
- The ergonomics concern the shape of the switches and the tension knobs of tension of chain and their flexibility of use, the design of the handles and their packing of anti-skid material.
- The settings include all that is preparation of the chainsaw: access and installation of the chain guide, the tension of the chain. The ease or not of filling the oil tank is also part of it.
- Safety: The top most chainsaws come with extra safety precautions for elimination of injuries that result from kickbacks. According to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) statistics, approximately thirty-six thousand people are treated every year in emergency rooms for chainsaw injuries.
- The price of chainsaw : the cost is an important point of consideration. The cost of all the better alternatives available in the market must be considered and the chainsaw with essential features and reasonably priced must be selected.
The Best Electric Chainsaw- Top 10 Reviews for 2020
- BLACK & DECKER LCS1020 20V Max Lithium Ion - Best Cordless Electric Chainsaw for 2020.
- The Best WORX WG303.1 - Best Budget Corded Electric Chainsaw
- Oregon 603352 Corded Electric Chainsaw, Grey, Black -The best for 2020
- DEWALT DCCS620P1 20V MAX Lithium-Ion 12 in. Cordless Chainsaw Kit
- Makita UC4051A 16″ Great Cordless Electric Chainsaw
- Sun Joe SWJ701E 18-inch 14.0 Amp Corded Electric ChainSaws
- Greenworks 16-Inch 40V Cordless & Battery Chainsaw
- WORX WG304.1 Electric Chainsaw 18-Inch
- Earthwise CS30116 16-Inch 12-Amp Corded Electric Chainsaw
- Zombi ZCS12017 16-Inch 120-Volt 13-Amp Corded Electric Chainsaw
I propose you to get right into the heart of the matter by showing you my top 10 of the best electric chainsaws of 2020. You will find necessarily a good electric model made for you in this selection, whatever your budget!
1. BLACK+DECKER LCS1020 20V Max Lithium Ion – Cordless Chainsaw, 10-Inch Review
The best cordless electric chainsaw
The Cordless Black & Decker LCS1020 20V open our selection of best electric chainsaws with the perfect combination of efficiency and ease of use. You can count on its more powerful 1800 W engine for enhanced performance. Its guide of 35 cm help also contributes greatly to the very good quality of cut offered by this machine.
- 10” bar length
- Oregon blade 20V MAX Lithium-ion battery
- Lubrication system
- Tool-less tensioning
- 50 ml reservoir capacity
- Oil level indicator
- Guards for the rear and front handles
If you are not a corded chainsaw enthusiast, then a cordless power saw could be your answer. One of the best cordless chainsaws is the Black+Decker LCS1020 with its 10 inches long bar. It is an ideal choice for dealing with light trimming jobs in your property.
This 20-volt marvel electric chainsaw from Black & Decker has gained quite a name for itself. The Black & Decker LCS1020 is one of the latest in the company’s lineup, and is great for garden and light- to medium-duty cutting tasks (mainly live branches, green logs, and dry wood).
This electric chainsaw boasts of an established power tool manufacturer, which adds to its popularity. The little versatile saw tool is easy to maintain and use tool for light-duty tree limb pruning. High maneuverability and portability mean you can also bring it along during camping.
It would be a great asset when preparing firewood or clearing brushes around your tent. With the 10” Oregon bar, cutting through tree branches of that size requires prolonged usage that drains the battery. Therefore, this limits pruning to between 5 and 6 inches’ thick pieces of wood.
Tension adjustment is made without any tools by simply turning the adjustment knob. Similarly, the chainsaw automatically lubricates itself so long as you keep the oiling reservoir filled with lube oil. A bale rear handle wraps around the operator’s hands, ensuring utter comfort.
Weighing in at about 7.2 pounds, this chainsaw is as light as it can get. Therefore, you can use it for both pruning and sawing off tree branches that fall during storms without being fatigued. All in all, this chainsaw is only meant for light duty and has infrequent problems with the oiler.
- Simple to tighten and loosen the chain
- Starts in a single button press
- Excellent maneuverability in tight spaces
- Handles well
- Low kickback
- Runs quiet
- Comfortable handles
- Handle guards protect hands from flying debris
- Only meant for light jobs
- You still have to check the chain tension regularly
- Oiler develops routine problems
2. The best WORX WG303.1 Corded Electric ChainSaw
The best budget for electric chainsaw
The Worx WG303.1 is a corded budget friendly electric chainsaw fitted with a 16” long chain bar. It is packed with a range of features to ease your sawing necessities. For starters, this electric chainsaw has an auto-tensioner.
- 14.5-amp motor -Auto-oiler, Chain brake, 57 chain links
- Auto-tensioner, 200 ml oil reservoir
- Ergonomic, rubber rear handle
- 16” bar
- 12m/s max chain speed
- 120V, 60Hz
- 3/8” chain pitch, 0.05” chain gauge
- 3.5 peak horsepower
This tensioning system is great as it eliminates the trouble of having to adjust the chain slugness every now and then. It also extends chain and bar life as over and under-tensioning of the bar is alleviated. Similarly, metal dogs built-in at the base of the bar stabilizes it during woodcuts.
A 14.5-amp motor powers the whole tool from an electric power source. The motor produces decent power to make your tree cutting errands such a light work. Likewise, the lubrication system is automated from the chain drive. The operator burden is lessened as chain and bar life is prolonged.
Part of the design includes an oil reservoir built into the casing. There is also an oil window for quickly checking the oil level. Also, the lightweight design coupled with an ergonomic handle makes for efficient and safe chainsaw operations.
- Easy to start in any weather/condition
- Comfortable ergonomic rubber rear handle
- Chain brake brings it to a stop is a couple of seconds
- Lessened operator work by auto-tensioner and oiler
- Prolonged chain and bar life
- Relatively quiet
- Evenly balanced
- Tension adjustment knob loosens after a while
- Auto-oiler uses a lot of oil
- Not suitable for detailed carving with the tip
3. Oregon 603352 Corded Chainsaw, Grey, Black – Review
The best self-sharpening corded chainsaw
The Oregon 603352 is a corded electric chainsaw that features a range of unique chainsaw designs. Of all the features, the most notable difference between this product and other electric chainsaws is its sharpening system. This unique design kind of sets it apart from others.
- PowerSharp sharpening system
- 120V, 60Hz, 15 amps
- 18” bar
- Tool-less tensioning
- 3/8” pitch, 0.5” gauge
- Auto-oiler, oil level indicator
- No load chain speed of 2888 FPM
- Over-mold handle
The electric chainsaw has a PowerSharp sharpening system that reduces downtime. When the chain gets dull, all an operator does is pull on the PowerSharp lever for between 3 and 5 seconds. Afterward, the chain operators will feel like the chain is new while you are still on the job site.
As an electric chainsaw, it starts in an instant by the simple pull of a trigger. Pulling the trigger brings to life the 15-amp motor that in turn drives the chain over the 18” long chain guide. These specifications allow you to cut fast at a reduced risk of chain kickbacks.
A tensioning system that requires you not to use any tools adds to the overall convenience of the Oregon 603352. Also, ergonomic of design is incorporated into the saw to make it lightweight. This design reduces fatigue levels in case of prolonged usage.
However, since the motor is mounted on one side, chainsaw balance is compromised hence making cutting awkward.
- Self-sharpening feature eradicates sharpening downtime
- Handles largely sized tree diameters
- Low vibrations
- Minimal noise during cuts and silence between cuts
- Well balanced
- Sure-grip handle
- Excellent clutch safety feature
- Convenient oiler and tensioner
Best Electric Chainsaw Kit With Battery
The DEWALT DCCS620P1 cordless chainsaw kit is a versatile set of chainsaw equipment that are great additions to your power tools. This chainsaw has a 12” long chain bar guide that makes it suitable for some different applications such as cutting beams, doing demolitions, and taming aggressive tree limbs.
- 20V (5Ah) MAX Lithium-ion battery
- Max no load chain speed: 25.2 feet/second
- Brushless motor
- Tool-free tensioning
- 12” Oregon bar
- Auto-oiling system
- Chain gauge: 0.043”
- Chain pitch: 3/8”
It features a sturdy design to handle the outdoor and construction extremities. It does so while still remaining agile because of its low weight. The user remains in total control of the chainsaw at all times. Since its motor is brushless, it draws conservative power while also prolonging the motor life.
Both the Oregon chain and bar have low kickback, suiting the tool for the outdoor and opening roughing applications. The fact that you can adjust the chain tension without using any tools adds to the overall ease of use. A tightening knob is provided to adjust the clamping on the bar for the appropriate tensioning.
The 20V MAX Lithium-ion battery is compatible with other DEWALT tools that run on this battery type. Therefore, if you already own any of these tools, then you do not have to buy this kit. It saves you a good amount of money. Additionally, you can use the same battery for an array of DEWALT tools.
- Part of the numerous 20V lithium-ion DEWALT batteries
- Increased motor life
- Energy efficient motor design
- Easy to use
- Compact for usage in tight spaces
- Negligible noise levels
- No chainsaw case
- High rate of chain oil consumption
- No metallic felling dogs
5. Makita UC4051A 16″ Electric Chain Saw – Review
The best cordless electric chainsaw on the market
Makita is known to take their electric chainsaws through a rigorous testing and inspection process before each exits the production line. To an extent, this is re-assuring on the quality of the product you will be buying.
- Interchangeable Oregon bars
- 16” bar (usable with 18”)
- Rubberized grip
- Oil level see-through the window
- Metal spike bar
- Too-free tensioner
- Electric chain brake
- Built-in current limiter
- Large trigger switch
- Max chain speed: 2,900 FPM
- 14.5 amps
Additionally, buyers get money back guarantee within a 30-day period of purchasing the tool as confidence in its performance.
The Makita UC4051A cordless electric chainsaw comes with user-friendly features for exemplary user experience. A design engineered for carrying out of fast cuts saves you time and energy. On top of this, as an electric chainsaw, maintenance costs are kept as low as possible.
Another unique feature that prolongs tool life is the inclusion of a current limiter within the motor. This features works by reducing how much current the motor draws, especially when the chainsaw is overloaded.
In this way, the motor does not burn out as the current is kept to within permissible levels. Elsewhere, a large-sized trigger switch features a soft motor startup.
With the automatic oiling system in place, you should frequently check the oil level to ensure that it doesn’t run out mid-operation. The see-through aids you in this checking. At the base of the bar is a spiked bumper for stabilizing the chainsaw when cutting. Apart from the messy oiling system that spills oil often, this tool is a great piece.
- Fast cutting
- Current limiter averts motor burnout
- Comfortable to use
- High endurance
- Incredibly easy to check oil level
- Electric chain brake reduces the probability of injuries
- Metal spike bars increases the cut quality
- Retains the sharpness for long
- Great for cross cuts
The best corded chainsaw for cutting firewood
The Sun Joe SWJ701E is another high quality corded electric chainsaw especially for cutting firewood. It is well-suited to tackling slightly heavy duty tree limb cutting jobs.
- 14-amps motor
- 18” Oregon bar
- Kickback brake function
- Ergonomic, adjustable handle
- 40 volts, 60Hz
- 5/32 sharpening file
- Oiler gauge window
Other suitable tasks include logging, cutting of tree limbs, and cutting of cords of firewood. To accomplish all these tough cutting tasks, it is fitted with a powerful 14 amps’ motor.
The functional element is the 18 inches long Oregon bar and chain. A bar this length should be able to make light work of firewood, logs, branches, and thick limbs. With a simple nudge of a button, the motor brings to life this precise and easy to use cutting tool. Weighing in at about 9.7 pounds, the tool is lightweight, thus allowing you to work as long as you can.
The front handle has a hand guard to maintain hand safety from flying wood chips in the course of work. An additional kickback brake stops the chain when it makes an improper contact with a particular surface.
Also, to prevent accidental starting of this chainsaw, an additional switch is included for pre-pressing alongside the on/off button.
At 14 amps, you can theoretically expect this chainsaw to have a power output of about 2.25 horsepower. But when you factor in motor efficiency, it reduces to about 1.8 horsepower.
For sharpening, you will require a 5/32 (4mm round file). While this chainsaw performs comparatively well, the chain requires to be very tight. Otherwise, it comes off.
- Great safety features
- Easy to use
- Adjustable ergonomic handle
- Reliable motor
- Safety precautions prevent accidental starting
- Requires little maintenance
Best Professional Electric Chainsaw
The great Greenworks 20312 cordless electric chainsaws are more of a professional grade chainsaw but powered by a battery. Powered by a Greenworks G-MAX 40V Lithium-ion battery, the motor packs out some serious juice to power the 16 inches’ long bar. This powering results in more torque for tackling a variant of property chores.
- 16” steel Oregon bar
- 40V G-Max Lithium-ion battery
- Auto-oiler, translucent oil reservoir
- Electronic chain brakes
- Brushless motor
- 2 Ah battery capacity
- 0.0375 chain pitch, 0.043” gauge
- Charge time: 2 hours (4.0 Ah), 1 hour (2.0 Ah)
Brushless motor engineering minimizes the number of moving parts, which in turn results in less wear, tear, and increased battery runtime. The design tweak extends the tool life while at the same time increasing the torque output. Likewise, the battery used to power the tool can also be used for several other Greenworks tools.
If pulling on a chord to start a chainsaw is not your definition of fun, then the push to start button on this chainsaw would be a godsend. Another great feature is the 16” Oregon bar made from steel.
For homeowners with small to medium-sized trees in their backyards, having that length of bar and chain would enable you to do all the limb cutting and pruning jobs.
The bar is also not too long to make it hard to control. It is stable and easy to maneuver, especially for arborists. Just like typical chainsaws, the Greenworks 20312 also features safety features that prevent it from harming you.
These include a chain brake, handguard, and quick release trigger. Some of the problems associated with it are the oil leaks and the loose chain.
- Compatible with a host of batteries
- Impressive safety features
- Brushless motor prolongs tool life
- High battery efficiency
- Short charge times
- Thin blade profile increases cutting power
- Blade reduces strain on the motor
- Professional grade performance
- Thin blade increases sharpening frequency
- Prone to oil leaks
- Chain comes off at times
Best Power Vs Weight Chain Saw
One of the challenges faced by electric chainsaw buyers is finding one with the right balance between power and weight. Fortunately, the 15 amp WORX is one product that attempts to match these performance matrices.
- 18” bar
- 15.0 amp, 120 volts, 60Hz
- Chain brake
- Auto lubrication, 200ml oil tank, oil level indicator window
- Chain pitch: 3/8”, 0.05” chain gauge
- Chain speed: 12 m/s
- 5/32 round file sharpening
- 63 chain links
Together with the motor and the 18” long bar, this chainsaw is capable of handling between small and medium-sized cutting jobs. The motor generates a total of 4 breaking horsepower, adding to its overall cutting competencies. Users note that it can competently handle 16” tree logs.
Despite its relatively long bar, it’s pretty agile, balanced and lightweight. This feature makes it easy to maneuver, even for those who are new at using chainsaws. At the same time, vibration levels are considerably reduced as the bucking spikes stabilize the equipment when cutting.
To start your chainsaw, press on the lock off button followed by the on/off button. This safety mechanism keeps the on/off button depressed until you press the lock switch. Another great safety feature is the instant stop whenever you release the trigger switch.
In essence, you shouldn’t worry about the motor keeping on running when the saw is accidentally dropped. Although it works great on most occasions, some of the components do develop problems.
- Durable all-metal chain serrations
- Starts in a breeze
- Easy to maneuver
- Chain tensioning done in seconds
- Powerful motor
- Handles medium sized trees
- Safe to use
- Ergonomic rubberized handle
- Plastic gear drives are not durable
- Chain falls off with ease
The best electric chainsaw for homeowner
The Earthwise CS30116 may not be the most popular electric chainsaw brands around, but it still gets the job done. In every time I have used it, it has a delightful feel all about it. A 12-amp motor powers the 16” long bar through household and garden clean up tasks.
- 12-amp motor
- 16” Oregon chain and bar
- Plastic cover for the blade
- Auto-oiler and tensioner
- Clear oil level indicator window
- Twist tension adjustment knob
- Rubberized over-molded handle
- Cord retention hook
- Double insulated power chord
To bring the best out of the chainsaw, I suggest you use a 14-gauge outdoor cord. The Oregon bar reduces instances of kickbacks. Its plastic casing is provided as part of the package. Both chain and bar prepare wood for your fire pit and takes care of your overgrown tree branches as well as small trees.
Automated lubrication system keeps bar and chain spinning around smoothly. At the same time, it prolongs their lifespans by inhibiting wear and tear of the moving parts.
An oil level window on the oil reservoir eases maintenance as you can quickly check how much oil is remaining. You can then decide to either top it up or continue working.
Rubberized over-molded handles are easier to grip even when you have gloves on than in non-rubber models. An assured grip on the handle thwarts accidental dropping of the saw when in operation. This chainsaw has a major flaw in some of the models. The gravity activated oil dispenser tends to stop working.
- Convenient hook to extend cord length
- Sure-grip handles for security
- Easy to tension with the adjustment knob
- Little lube oil consumption
- Chain rolls smoothly
- Cuts through tough white oak square posts
- Chain serrations take a while before requiring sharpening
- Chain oil readily available in stores
The best electric chainsaw for the money
The Zombi ZCS12017 is a relatively unknown corded electric chainsaw. It features a design that combines comforting features, innovation, and an aesthetic appeal to it.
- 16” bar
- 120V, 60Hz, 13-amp motor
- Tool-less tensioner
- Safety lock button
- Front hand-guard
- Rubber over-molded handle
- 0.15m UL Cord
From first looks, it seems pretty mean for an electric chainsaw. The rubber coated handle grips mean that tool vibrations do not bother you much.
One of its neat additions is the knob for tensioning of the chain. Although it works great, it could be improved since it rotates on its own as a result of the frictional force between it and the wood being cut. A large-sized trigger makes for a comfortable placing of fingers for a fatigue-free operation.
Homeowners would love the low kickback property of the chain bar tip. Another great addition is the safety lock button which prevents starting of the machine when you are not aware.
Part of the reasons why some users talk highly of the chainsaw is the powerful 120 volts, 13-amp motor that provides fast, clean cuts.
Because it is like any other electric chainsaw, this Zombi saw is meant for occasional tree felling around your backyard. You could also use it for clearing the aftermath of a storm, pruning, limbing, and bucking of medium-sized woods. The 16” blade is most effective when used for cutting trees and wood logs of between 8-10 inches.
- Great aesthetic appeal
- Comfortable to use
- Starts easy
- Constant powerful motor performance
- Easy tension adjustments
- Handle fits great on the hand
- Easy to reach trigger and safety button
Top Electric Chainsaw - How to buy the Best
What is an electric chainsaw?
An electric chainsaw is a tool that allows you to perform logging. Equipped with a motor on which turns a cutting chain, this device is used to cut trees, prune them, cut timber ...
The electic chainsaw being a powerful and dangerous device, it will be important before any use to be equipped with adequate protections: glasses, gloves, anti-noise helmet or pants specifically planned to avoid any accident.
How to choose the best electric chainsaw?
There are many criteria that can influence your choice of good electric chainsaw. To help you see more clearly, I suggest you discover the 5 most important points to study before buying your product.
1. The power of the chainsaw
The power of an electric chainsaw is expressed in Watts. Depending on your use, you will have the choice between different models more or less powerful.
For pruning and maintenance of small trees, you can opt for an electric chain saw with a power of around 20 V. For larger logging operations, it will be advisable to turn to a more powerful model, offering at least 40 V .
2. The length of cut
By default, it is advisable to buy a chain saw with a 40 cm chain guide. This size will be ample for most jobs. Indeed, it will allow you to cut tree trunks with a diameter of about 80 cm.For smaller jobs such as pruning or firewood, you may choose a machine with a shorter cutting length.
3. The chain type of the electric chainsaw
There are three types of chains for electric chainsaws: chisels, low kickbacks and semi-chisels.
The first model is the most effective, but has the disadvantage of being also the most dangerous. Indeed, in case of return blade, it abruptly goes to the face of the user.
The kickback model limits this risk, but does not offer the same cutting performance.
The semi-chisel chain has been imagined as a compromise between the two previous models.
As a chainsaw requires great control, the question of the ergonomics of the device will be particularly important.It will therefore be necessary to check that your tool is not too heavy to facilitate its handling. The grip of the device and the various safety devices available will also be taken into account.
5. Corded electric chainsaw or cordless with battery?
Finally, you will have the choice between two types of electric chainsaws: the one with battery or the one that plugs on the sector.The battery electric chainsaw will allow you greater freedom of movement and will allow you to reach areas of your garden inaccessible with a wired model. However, its autonomy will also be more limited.
Recommendation Of the Best electric Chainsaws
The WORX WG303.1 electric chainsaw is clearly the best. It is very easy to use especially because of its special patented tool-free auto tensioning and chain replacement features. It is also a favorite among chainsaw users and has consistently gathered great reviews. The OREGON CS1500 also has excellent safety features that make it safe and easy to use for the average homeowner. You won’t be disappointed if you choose to buy it. If your budget allows, GreenWorks 20312 is also the good choice.
- How we test the chainsaws
- The Best Electric Chainsaw- Top 10 Reviews for 2020
- 1. BLACK+DECKER LCS1020 20V Max Lithium Ion – Cordless Chainsaw, 10-Inch Review
- 2. The best WORX WG303.1 Corded Electric ChainSaw
- 3. Oregon 603352 Corded Chainsaw, Grey, Black – Review
- 4. DEWALT DCCS620P1 20V MAX Lithium-Ion XR Brushless Compact 12 in. Cordless Chainsaw Kit (5AH) – Review
- 5. Makita UC4051A 16″ Electric Chain Saw – Review
- 6. Sun Joe SWJ701E 18-inch 14.0 Amp Electric ChainSaw – Review
- 7. Greenworks 16-Inch 40V Cordless & Battery ChainSaw – Review
- 8. WORX WG304.1 Electric Chainsaw 18-Inch 4 15.0 Amp – Review
- 9. Earthwise CS30116 16-Inch 12-Amp Corded Electric ChainSaw – Review
- 10. Zombi ZCS12017 16-Inch 120-Volt 13-Amp Corded Electric Chainsaw – Review
- Top Electric Chainsaw - How to buy the Best